Friday, May 25, 2012

work


i keep laughing at this picture of shoshi mama at the doctors' office last week for the dread PINKEYE.  she had this very dramatically WTF/i will keeeel you expression on her face the entire five minutes the doctor did her examinations.  stinkeye or no, being a nurse or doctor must be such hard and satisfying work....

work!  i dunno, right now i'm the receptionist at an office building for about 15 businesses (way to use that degree!).  sometimes i think about how many secrets are being told behind the walls in this building every day, between the lawyers and the psychologists and psychiatrists and the financial consultants.  in fact, sometimes i am amazed by how many secrets are told to me, the secretary!  i love those moments when a person, waiting for the lawyer and too full of grief or frustration to resist, starts telling me the intimate details of their divorce.  or the parent of a child meeting with the psychiatrist starts telling me how difficult it's been.  i trip over myself offering hot chocolate and the mason jar of crayons i brought in for the kiddos here for counseling, offer small details of my own separation so people won't feel embarassed telling me so much...those parts of my day are the best, when i can interact in a meaningful, real way with people.  one woman yesterday said, "you've helped me so much, i never thought of it that way!" regarding her straying ex.  maybe i'm just nosy but...i do love to listen.  i guess maybe i am just starting to imagine a career-life for myself beyond answering phones, however faraway it might seem....

No comments:

Post a Comment